No need to fret—Specialized hasn’t forgotten about all you alloy fans out there. In fact, the new Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp may be the most radically designed alloy bike ever made. For real, though. And with new tube shapes, an asymmetrical design, and the nimble 27.5 handling that we all love, it’s plenty capable and ready to take on the trail.
The design goal for the new Stumpjumper was simple—build the ultimate trail bike, one that feels telepathic. And it turns out that this feeling all comes down to stiffness. Think of it this way: when the frame’s telling your hands one thing and your feet another, your brain gets confused with the imbalance and the bike feels unstable. In order to fix this, Specialized had to get to work on dialing-in the materials and shapes.
Specialized continued down the suspension path with a custom Rx Trail Tune on both the fork and rear shock. Suspension performance is highly dependent on frame, wheel, and rider size, so they use their Rx Tune to get each bike to land in the middle of the adjustment spectrum, and this gives you the biggest possible range to fine-tune your ride. Another focal point of the tune was matching the suspension characteristics between wheel sizes—they developed a specific Rx Tune for each platform. So, no matter what wheel size you prefer, you’ll get perfectly linear suspension.
Steps were also taken to make this bike easy to live with. Threaded bottom brackets make a triumphant return, and made room for up to a 3.0″ tire. You’re also free to run whatever aftermarket rear shock you want, since we’re using standard metric shocks. And customization is furthered with a Flip Chip that lets you to dial-in your Stumpy to your riding style. Switch it from High to Low and it drops your bottom bracket 6mm and slackens the head tube by half-a-degree. Little details also jump out to surprise you, like a newly designed ribbed chainstay protector that makes chain slap a thing of the past and nearly silences the drivetrain.
The build here is no-nonsense with a focus on dependable, high-performing parts, like a Shimano SLX drivetrain with RaceFace cranks, Shimano SLX disc brakes, FOX front and rear suspension, and Roval Traverse 27.5 alloy wheels.
- The completely redesigned alloy Stumpjumper frame features an M5 alloy front- and rear-end, an asymmetrical design, and Specialized’s 27.5 Trail Geometry, so it’s just the right amount of both capable and comfortable.
- The FOX DPS Performance rear shock features Specialized’s Rx Trail Tune, ensuring that no matter the wheel or frame size, your bike is dialed-in perfectly.
- A FOX 34 Rhythm fork handles suspension duties up front, with stiff stanchions and plenty of adjustability.
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Features (Extra):
- FRAME: M5 alloy chassis and rear end, asymmetrical design, 27.5 Trail Geometry, threaded BB, fully enclosed internal cable routing, 12x148mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 150mm of travel
- FORK: FOX FLOAT Rhythm 34 27.5, 44mm offset, 2-position, tapered alloy steerer, 15x110mm Boost™, 150mm of travel
- REAR SHOCK: FOX FLOAT DPS Performance, Rx Trail Tune, rebound and 3-position compression adjust, 210×52.5mm
- FRONT HUB: Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm spacing, 28h
- REAR HUB: Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
- SPOKES: DT Swiss Industry
- RIMS: Roval Traverse 27.5, hookless alloy, 29mm inner width, tubeless ready, 28h
- INNER TUBES: Presta, 40mm valve
- FRONT TIRE: Butcher, GRID Casing, GRIPTON® compound, 2Bliss Ready, 27.5 x 2.6″
- REAR TIRE: Purgatory, GRID casing, GRIPTON® compound, 2Bliss Ready, 27.5 x 2.6″
- CRANKSET: RaceFace Aeffect, 24mm spindle, 170mm crankarm
- CHAINRINGS: 32T
- BOTTOM BRACKET: Threaded BB, 24mm spindle
- SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano SLX, 11-speed
- REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano XT, Shadow Plus, GS cage, 11-speed
- CASSETTE: Shimano SLX, 11-speed, 11-46t
- CHAIN: KMC X11, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™
- FRONT BRAKE: Shimano SLX, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 200mm rotor
- REAR BRAKE: Shimano SLX, Hydraulic Disc, Resin Pad
- HANDLEBARS: Specialized, 6061 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 27mm rise, 780mm width
- GRIPS: Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
- STEM: Specialized Trail, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- SADDLE: Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
- SEATPOST: X-Fusion Manic, infinite adjustable, two-bolt head, bottom mount cable routing, remote SRL LE lever, 34.9mm, S: 125mm, M/L/XL: 150mm of travel
- SEAT BINDER: Specialized bolt-type, alloy, 38.6mm
- PEDALS:Specialized Dirt